ISSN 1440-9828
March 2003
No 186


USA/Canada: The Crucifixion of Ernst Zündel


Preliminary Remarks: Legal Update

Fredrick Töben

Firstly, a big thank you to all our supporters who contributed to the Defence Fund Appeal, and a special thank-you to John Bennett who has for the second time now jumped into the position of fund manager, the first time during 1999 when I spent seven months in Hotel Mannheim. All those who have made a donation will initially receive a receipt, then later, after the appeal, I shall personally respond to each donation. We have achieved a modest $4,000, and although that will not be enough to cover costs, I am certain when the significance of this appeal becomes known more widely, that more contributions will be made.

Those of you who wish to consider leaving a legacy that would help us continue the fight, please contact me, and I shall make arrangements so that we can legalise your support in such a way that the enemy cannot take me to court and demand money from me. After all, I am only able to do what I am doing because I have divested myself of all material goods. The proverbial enemy of free speech always aims to neutralize those it fears by attacking the financial operational base, and in my case they cannot get anything.

There is, however, a general donation fatigue because a number of supporters have been in this battle since the 1970s, and some are simply dispirited. Hence a big thank you to those individuals who have managed to send in their monthly, even fortnightly, contributions, something that gives life to our newsletter.

Now the general fatigue has somewhat been swept aside with a most unexpected development. As you will see below, the Ernst Zündel arrest in the USA/Canada has given a new impetus to Revisionism. Ironically, when I visited the Zündel home for a couple of days in February, just six days before Ernst was arrested, I stated to him that there are two types of Revisionists: those who have been inside and those who have it coming to them! What a prophetic joke.

At the 25 February hearing in Sydney, John Bennett (Australian Civil Liberties Union), and I were present, as was the Respondent’s legal team led by Senior Counsel, Stephen Rothman. Our legal counsels did not have to appear on account of a technicality that caused the appeal to be adjourned until the next Federal Court sessions, probably in May 2003. So, more savings were made, and our counsel is fully aware that we are battling this on the proverbial shoestring, and a lot of goodwill. Both state and Commonwealth legal aid has been denied me because the matter is considered not to be of any significance.

Now three appeal judges determined before the 25 February hearing that the actual appeal may raise constitutional matters, and advised counsels accordingly. The various states’ and territories’ Attorneys General therefore need to be notified that this case is before the court so that they may voice their objections, or otherwise, on the matter under consideration – and this could not be done prior to the 25 February hearing. One matter is that the actual Racial Discrimination Act is in contravention of the Foreign Affairs Power, but don’t quote me on this. I shall keep you informed as things develop through our website and emails.

Although The Australian and The Age reporters interviewed me, their stories were not printed. Only The Australian Jewish News detailed the matter on 28 February 2003 thus:


Toben Case Adjourned

By Aviva Bard

An appeal by Holocaust denier Dr Fredrick Toben to overturn a Federal Court decision forcing him to remove offensive content from his Adelaide Institute website has been adjourned until May.

In a landmark decision last September, Justice Catherine Branson found that material on his website was “likely to offend, insult, humiliate and intimidate Australian Jews”, and ordered Toben to remove the content within seven days. Toben’s appeal was adjourned after his lawyers argued that the interpretation of the legislation accepted by the Federal Court until now contravenes the Australian constitution.

Notice of this argument has to be given to attorneys general of all states, including the Commonwealth attorney general to allow them the opportunity to intervene if they wish the reason for the lengthy adjournment.

Supporting Toben in the courtroom was John Bennett, author of Your Rights, a publication that promotes Holocaust denial, anti-Zionism and anti-immigration. Toben’s website remains online.


Of course, I did remove the alleged offending material, and more. I removed the complete site, and the current one is thus brand new. It is my attempt at operating a site with a court gag-order in place, something that I find oppressive. Interestingly, though, the initial Human Rights and Equal Commission (HREOC) ruling demanded that I remove the whole website and that I also apologise in writing, the text of the apology being given to me. How this would have been achieved remained a puzzle for me. Jones was asking me to remove the website and then display the apology on a removed website!

It was also demanded that I receive counseling, at my own expense, to learn what it means to be a racist. I found this quite funny because if anyone asks me whether I am a racist, my reply is that I am not. Yet, after some counseling, perhaps then my answer would be, “Not yet!”

Also, Jeremy Jones, the Zionist who initiated this battle, initially wished to speak on behalf of all Australian Jews. That claim fell flat even before the HREOC, and now it is merely Jeremy Jones v Fredrick Töben, as it ought to be: Man to Man! In this context let me reproduce a paragraph that Stephen Rothman wrote in his written submission:

There is nothing in the activity of Jews in Australia or elsewhere which has invited public criticism or discussion.  There is certainly no evidence of such activity.  The abstract generalisation of “truth in history” is not the kind of justification embodied in the provisions of s.18D, assuming, for the purposes of this discussion that the analogy with the Bellino is appropriate.

The significance of the Internet again was brought home to me when I met some supporters who are not on the Internet and thus have no email service. After three weeks they had not heard about Zündel’s arrest because the local and national print and electronic media has not run the story. Interestingly, the Australian Jewish News did run a story on 28 February 2003.

And before we feature the terrible Ernst Zündel matter, here is an item from David Brockschmidt to put you, briefly, in a reflective mood before the darker and more painful one takes over.


The Holocaust In Space

The world has known that the Holocaust Racketeers, the corpse peddlers and the Shoah Business Merchants are not only ‘off their rocker’, but since Norman Finkelstein published his book The Holocaust Industry, we know that these people, according to Finkelstein, are also a bunch of criminals who have no respect for the victims — Jews and Gentiles alike — as long as they can make a ‘fast buck’ out of it. The last Columbia space disaster shows us that Holocaust marketing has now reached space. If this is ‘the way to go’, to take a drawing of a young Holocaust victim who died at Auschwitz into space in order to get ‘the desired results’ from the ‘international community’, then the next Japanese astronaut must take a drawing from a young Japanese child who perished in the nuclear firestorm of Hiroshima or Nagasaki. The next German astronaut must take a drawing from a child who died in the Holocaust of Dresden, Pforzheim, Hamburg, etc. The next Russian astronaut must take a drawing of a Russian child who perished in Leon Trotzky-Bronstein and Lazar Kaganovich’s Gulags in Soviet Russia. We all mourn the tragic deaths of all astronauts, but using this mission for ‘Shoah Business’ is tasteless, and it shows the world that the Holocaust industry is not only ‘spaced out’ but totally off the planet.



USA/Canada: The Crucifixion of Ernst Zündel


What follows below is what is perceived to be the most important Zgrams that Ingrid Rimland sent through the system. Therein the storyline of Ernst’s arrest is revealed, especially the corrupt involvement of the Canadian secret service in persecuting Ernst in Canada. After his arrest on 5 February 2003, Ernst spent a week in a Tennessee prison, then was transferred to a detention camp in New York, and from there flown to Canada. Because the Canadian authorities refused to admit Ernst, he was brought across the border back into the USA. Then, and I am not clear about this, he returned to Canada requesting political asylum, and he now is in a detention camp from which he is making that critical application for political asylum.

----- Original Message -----
From: <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 8:13 PM
Subject: ZGram - 3/4/2003 - "SOS: CSIS vs Zundel"
SOS ZGram - Where Truth is Destiny:  Now more than ever!
March 3, 2003
Good Morning from the Zundelsite:

Before I write anything else, I would still like more readers on my list to sign the petition at  We are now at 835 signatures, and I would like to have a round 1,000  before we submit it to the Powers that be. Please sign - and spread the word on your respective lists. Now to some very serious business:

Ernst Zundel is in maximum lockdown in the Niagara Detention Center. I talked to him very briefly yesterday and a little longer this morning.  He says the guards hang their heads because they are ashamed at what is happening but will not give him any explanation why he has to be in lock-down 24 hours a day.  He says that he is being treated like Rudolf Hess, having his food shoved in without words, being permitted only a plastic spoon/fork combination – called a "spork", by the way - some kind of black humor?  He writes his notes to himself and what letters he is allowed to send on the seat of his toilet, the only surface available to him.

I believe this treatment is being meted out to keep him from communicating with anyone, including media.  The reason is that last Friday, he told the "war crimes" attorney acting for the government that the very agency, namely CSIS, that is trying to brand him as a "terrorist" is the outfit that had knowledge of the parcel bomb en route to the Zundel-Haus to kill him in 1995 - yet did not see fit to warn him or anybody else!

This WILL be said at the next hearing - if such a hearing is ever to take place.  Allegedly, this hearing, scheduled  for Friday, is open to media.  When I talked to Ernst this morning, nobody had yet notified him of the date.  I feel I have reason to fear that Ernst's enemies will move heaven and earth, and may even attempt to harm him, to prevent this hearing from happening.

Here is the pertinent information that has only recently come to light in a book titled Covert Entry / Spies, Lies and Crimes: Inside Canada's Secret Service by Andrew Mitrovica. Andrew Mitrovica is one of Canada's leading investigative journalists.  He has won numerous national and international awards for his reporting.  He has worked at the fifth estate, CTV national news, W5 and most recently at the Globe and Mail, where he covered security and intelligence issues.  Born in Melbourne, Australia, Mitrovica lives in Toronto.

The inside book flap carries this text:

"Canada's espionage agency, CSIS, enjoys operating deep in the shadows.  Set up as a civilian force in the 80s after the RCMP spy service was abolished for criminal excesses, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service was to be a squeaky-clean contrast to its disgraced predecessors.  But it's hard for Canadians to get a fix on how well CSIS is doing its job or how well it is behaving.  This country's spymasters work diligently to prevent journalists, politicians and watchdog agencies from prying into their secret world.

Few journalists have come close to rivalling Andrew Mitrovica at unveiling the stories CSIS does not want told.  In COVERT ENTRY, the award-winning investigative reporter uncovers a disturbing pattern of venality, law-breaking and incompetence deep inside the service, and provides a fascinating window on its daily operations.
At its core, COVERT ENTRY traces the eventful career of John Farrell, a veteran undercover operative who worked on some of the service's most sensitive cases and was ordered to break the law by senior CSIS officers in the name of national security.  Mitrovica delivers a ground level, day-to-day look at who is actually running the show in national clandestine operations.  The picture he paints definitively shatters the myth that CSIS respects the rights and liberties it is charged with protecting."

From the back flap we learn this about John Farrel, the CSIS undercover agent who came out of the closet about his, and other operatives', illegal activities:

"As a dedicated operative in CSIS's covert war against terrorists and spies, John Farrell was once a true believer in the intelligence service's "Ways and Means Act":  if you have a way to get things done, the means - legal or not - are justified.  He is the first CSIS operative to openly discuss the details of his highly classified work.  Whether he is condemned or applauded for breaking his silence, Farrell is offering up his story so that Canadians can gain a clearer understanding of what actually takes place in this country in the name of national security.  And what this unofficial tour deep inside the service's cloistered world reveals is an alarming portrait of incompetence - and worse."

This hardcover, put out by Random House Canada, is listed at $35.95 and is available from Amazon. Mitrovica addresses how CSIS dealt with Ernst Zundel, a lifelong opponent of those individuals, groups and organizations who do not want the orthodox version of the Holocaust challenged, much less investigated.  In the vernacular referred to as the Holocaust Lobby, Zundel has many times characterized the actions of this powerful and ruthless entity as being an extortion racket based on fictitious stories regarding the genocidal gassings of Jews in World War II in German concentration camps.

As you read Mitrovica, please keep in mind that this investigative journalist describes a highly unpopular, politically incorrect dissident activist who has been systematically demonized by Canadian media for decades - while under a judge's gag order for years that prevented him from defending his motives and honor.

Page 136 - 140 of Covert Entry:

Mitrovica: Ernst Zundel was another prime target of CSIS's allegedly covert campaign against white supremacists.  For years, the balding, German-born immigrant ran what amounted to an anti-Semitic propaganda factory from his Victorian home in downtown Toronto.  Working out of his ramshackle basement, Zundel churned out pamphlets on his printing press, held meetings and gave lectures, all with a common theme:  the Holocaust was a hoax.

Zundelsite comment:  Ernst Zundel did not work out of a "ramshackle basement".  He worked out of a four-story Victorian home on prime real estate in downtown Toronto - a 14-room building packed to the ceiling with original documents, newspaper clippings, books, pamphlets, affidavits, original World War II memoirs, photographs, slides, audios and videos, court transcripts, government documents etc.

The Zundel-Haus was probably the world's largest private repository of evidence documenting that the true events of World War II were different from the brutal Hollywood-created version depicting Germans as genocidal monsters on a rampage to kill every Jew in sight, primarily by "gassing".

The Zundel-Haus was burned down on May 9th, 1995 -  on the 50th anniversary of Germany's surrender to the Allies in 1945. Street talk quickly pointed to a culprit.  Ernst turned over to the police the name and address of a punk who had been paid $200 by "someone" to douse the building with gasoline - a criminal act of the first order that was actually caught on a surveillance video.  Canadian police chose to do nothing with this tip and never even questioned the street person who did it.

Mitrovica: The man who once described Hitler as his idol distributed his message to fellow travellers around the globe in an infamous booklet entitled DID SIX MILLION REALLY DIE?  In it, Zundel claimed the Holocaust was a Jewish-inspired fraud.  Canada Post temporarily stopped delivering Zundel's mail in 1981 because he was using the postal service to spread hatred.  In 1985, Zundel was sentenced to 15 months in jail after being found guilty of wilfully causing harm to Canada's racial and social harmony.

Zundelsite comment:  This paragraph is misleading through omission.A postal commission, investigating the charge that Zundel "spread hatred", cleared him of the charge after a year's worth of investigation, stating in its verdict that - and here I quote from memory -  "the Holocaust is an issue between two peoples, the Germans and the Jews" - recommending that the Canadian government should keep its nose out of it.

The 15 months sentence was the result not of the judgment of the postal hearing - it was the result of what is known as the FIRST GREAT HOLOCAUST TRIAL of 1985, where, upon appeal, the judge was found biased, leading via many legal detours to the 1988 SECOND GREAT HOLOCAUST TRIAL which gave birth to the best-selling Leuchter Report, still a thorn in the Holocaust/Zionist-Lobbyists side.

The charge of these two trials that rocked the foundations of the Holocaust myth, was not that Ernst was "wilfully causing harm to Canada's racial and social harmony" - it was that Zundel was "spreading false news."  This charge, brought by a Holocaust survivor but soon taken over by the government, was based on an ancient law out of the Thirteenth Century in England that Canada had on its books, forbidding wandering minstrels to "defame the kings" with ribald songs.  That legal prohibition had no relevance in modern Canada.  After a nine-year legal battle, on August 27, 1992, the Supreme Court of Canada overturned this ancient law, striking down the "false news" law as a violation of the guarantee to free speech contained in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, thereby adopting Zündel's viewpoint on freedom of speech. The court's decision, as summarized in the headnote to the case, was as follows:

Section 2(b) of the Charter protects the right of a minority to express its view, however unpopular it may be. All communications which convey or attempt to convey meaning are protected by s. 2(b), unless the physical form by which the communication is made (for example, a violent act) excludes protection. The content of the communication is irrelevant. The purpose of the guarantee is to permit free expression to the end of promoting truth, political or social participation, and self-fulfillment. That purpose extents to the protection of minority beliefs which the majority regards as wrong or false. Section 181, which may subject a person to criminal conviction and potential imprisonment because of words he published, has undeniably the effect of restricting freedom of expression and, therefore, imposes a limit on s. 2(b).

In the Mitrovica paragraph that follows, the author summarizes this legal battle spanning almost a decade:

"Three years later, [Zundel's] conviction was upheld on appeal.  But in 1992, Zundel won an unexpected victory when the Supreme Court of Canada overturned his conviction on a charge of knowingly spreading false information about the Holocaust.  The decision, not surprisingly, thrilled and emboldened the Holocaust denier and his supporters, including the nascent Heritage Front.

Zundelsite Comment:  The Heritage Front was an organization ostensibly created for the purpose of giving White Canadian Youth a place where they could find some fellowship and mutual support in a violently hostile multicultural environment that routinely discriminated against them by favoring non-white immigrants in seeking employment, scholarships, grants etc.  I say "ostensibly", for as was discovered shortly thereafter, the Heritage Front was, in fact, a CSIS setup where a CSIS-paid agent provocateur,  Grant Bristow, tried to provoke and incite White kids to foolish racist statements and even violence.  When a Toronto reporter, Bill Dunphy, exposed this CSIS infiltration of the Heritage Front to the media, it caused a huge public relations problem for CSIS.  Eventually, there was a government whitewash, and the "problem" petered out.

This CSIS sore broke open around 1995 - exactly at a time when a Toronto mob of street punks, called ARA (Anti-Racist Action) was used by persons unknown to inflame Canadians against Ernst Zundel.  At one time, the city was blanketed by thousands of posters showing Ernst's face in the cross-hairs of a rifle and giving a map of the location of the Zundel-Haus.  This hate- and defamaation campaign soon thereafter led to the actual fire-bombing of the Zundel building.

Mitrovica:  After winning his legal reprieve, Zundel often made public appearances wearing a hard hat and carrying a large wooden cross.

Zundel-Haus comment:  Actually, I believe he carried the cross only once to force a photo op, knowing that an otherwise hostile media would not be able to resist this visual.  The cross still exists in a safe place in Canada. One day it will grace a Free Speech museum.

Mitrovica:  To his followers, [Zundel] was a courageous martyr in the fight to protect freedom of speech.  His opponents thought differently.  In late 1993, they descended on his home, hurling paint canisters and eggs.

Zundelsite comment:  Actually, they hurled more than eggs.  They defecated into plastic bags and hurled feces!  Somewhere among my tapes there exists a recording of the howling of that mob, chanting "Kill Zundel!  Burn Zundel down!"  If you listen to that tape, you'll think you hear the howl of devils!

Mitrovica:  Zundel had prepared for the onslaught by wrapping his home in plastic.  Riot police beat back the demonstrators.  The ugly skirmish helped Zundel and his admirers get the media attention they longed for.

Zundelsite comment:  This is a typical comment by a liberal journalist brainwashed into assuming that Zundel's cause was unjust and was not based on years of serious, detailed study of the Holocaust issue that led to his conclusion that the Holocaust was merely a propaganda piece to extract reparations from Germany and good-will gestures, including lavish financial aid and other perks, for the Israeli and Disaspora Jews from the United States and other Western countries.  Ernst has always been a convenient target for ritual denigration by mainstream media.  Sadly, Mitrovica is no exception.

Mitrovica:  But CSIS was also training a close eye on Zundel.  The service was busy intercepting mail for Zundel's home from a postal station at 1 Yonge Street.  Farrel says Zundel was also watched by the service.  The APIs were called when Hitler's admirer was seen posting mail.  A Canada Post driver would then be summoned to open the mailbox and allow an API to retrieve the mail.  Who was this API? Frank Pilotte, [a postal inspector] though  Farrell was often enlisted to help.  Letters and packages for Zundel arrived from all over the world.  On some days he received as many as 20 pieces of registered mail.  CSIS was  keen to establish a list of Zundel's worldwide supporters by noting the return addresses attached to each piece of correspondence.  To Farrell's surprise, Zundel often received letters of encouragement and support from doctors, lawyers, university professors, as well as prison inmates.
Zundelsite comment:  Ernst Zundel has many distinguished admirers all over the world who have followed his outreach campaign for decades.  It does great injustice to the image of this decent and non-violent human rights activist, who has dedicated his life to the defense of his vilified parents' generation, to paint Ernst Zundel as some political dimwit, hysterical "Neo-Nazi", or media-greedy publicity hound.  He has thousands of letters from distinguished sources all over the world that prove otherwise.

Mitrovica:  Farrell noticed that Pilotte took a particular interest in Zundel's mail.  Just how much interest became apparent early one morning when the two APIs met behind a large grocery store on Danforth Avenue.  Pilotte drove up in his white Buick, while Farrell arrived in his Geo Metro, a car he liked because it saved him money on gas.  Pilotte had just returned from the postal station carrying a batch of Zundel's letters.  As he flipped through the mail, Pilotte noticed that one letter was partially open.  Curious, he decided to unseal it.  Farrell urged him not to, warning him that the letters might be booby-trapped and that he was only inviting more trouble from Lunau.  [Don Lunau was Farrell's superior] Pilotte opened the letter.  Inside, he found a short note addressed to "Dear Ernst" urging the Holocaust denier to continue his campaign "to tell the truth."  To help in that effort, the letter also contained a ten-dollar American bill, which the API slipped back into the envelope.

"It was amateurish," Farrell says.  "It was none of the API's business what was in the mail."

Farrell didn't want to get embroiled in Pilotte's escapades, but as the program's troubleshooter, he had little choice.  He told Lunau, who once again went easy on Pilotte.

Then Farrell caught a break on the Zundel beat during one of his routine visits to Canada Post's station at 1 Younge Street. Dishevelled and unshaven, he arrived at 6:30 a.m. and walked up to the station's second floor offices.  He lumbered through a door leading to a restricted area that housed bag after bag of registered mail.  On his way, he waved at Patrick Hilberg, the registration clerk who often handled Zundel's registered mail, and George Fyfe, the station's supervisor.  Farrell had befriended them because he knew the pair could make his job a whole lot easier.  They didn't know he was working for CSIS;  they assumed he was still a postal inspector.

Farrell began rifling through the mail bags, searching for Zundel's registered mail.  He often had to flick through a thousand pieces before plucking out Zundel's letters and packages.  The mail, marked priority post, arrived from Australia, Germany, Austria, France and Switzerland.  It was imperative that Farrell get his hands on the mail before Hilberg, because once the clerk documented its arrival, the clock began ticking on how long the service could hold on to the letters and packages.  The sooner Farrell dumped Zundel's letters back into the mail stream, the less likely Zundel would complain about how tardy the postal service was.

Zundelsite comment:  Incidentally, just yesterday I received a letter that Ernst had written to me on February 14, 2003, sent out of Blount County Jail, located 45 minutes from where I live.  It took 17 days to arrive!

Mitrovica:  Farrell reached into the mail bag and pulled out a small box.  Later he learned that he had just laid his hands on the Heritage Front's complete membership list and the names and addresses of every individual in Canada and overseas who received Zundel's anti-Semitic literature.

Zundelsite comment:: Mitrovica assumes that the Heritage Front mailing list and the Zundel-Haus mailing list are identical.  Not so!  To my knowledge, CSIS never did get the Zundel-Haus mailing list.  They tried to compile one on their own, as stated above, by copying the return addresses of Zundel supporters.

Mitrovica:  It was an extraordinary stroke of luck.  Rarely did that kind of information fall so conveniently into the laps of spy services.  Finally, Farrell thought, Operation Vulva had paid dividends.

Zundelsite comment:  Does the name of this undercover operation spell who was behind it?  Those of us who have been the target of relentless Jewish hatred have always been amazed at how sexual innuendos, and especially a perverted fascination with feces, creeps into our enemies actions and words - notice the "shit bombs" hurled at the Zundel-Haus during various mob  demonstrations!

Mitrovica:  Handling Zundel's mail was a risky business.  Violence gravitated to the Holocaust denier.  A pipe bomb  once exploded behind his Carlton Street home, causing extensive damage.

Zundelsite comment:  Actually, it exploded *inside* his garage in 1984, prior to the FIRST GREAT HOLOCAUST TRIAL in 1985.  the culprit has never been apprehended.

Mitrovica:  Farrell was always concerned when he intercepted Zundel's mail.  He knew  the self-promoting propagandist had enemies and that one day one of them might use the mail to deliver an unmistakable and violent message to his front door.  Farrell liked his hands and wanted to keep them.

Zundelsite comment:  Now read the next Mitrovica paragraphs carefully:

Lunau warned the APIs to be especially careful when handling any mail addressed to Zundel from a post office box from Vancouver.  He refused to explain why the Vancouver address was on a watch list, but it was clear that he was worried that mail from that address might be used to conceal a bomb.

Farrell's own nervousness peaked when Lunau ordered him to temporarily stop intercepting parcels destined for Zundel's home.  "I got a call from Lunau and he said, 'Stop checking the parcels.  Just check the registered letters,' Farrell recalls.  Lunau wasn't kidding.  Farrell could hear the urgency in his voice.

In May 1995, a package arrived at Zundel's door apparently from a Vancouver post office box.  Zundel let the package sit unopened in his home for nearly a week before claiming to notice that "it made a funny noise" when he shook it.  He drove the suspicious package, cushioned by a bag of bird seed in the trunk of his car, to a local police station, where bomb experts discovered that it contained a powerful pipe bomb filled with large nails.  Police cordoned off a block around the 51 Division police station in downtown Toronto.  A remote-controlled robot gingerly placed the package in a blast-proof hopper.  Later, the pipe bomb was detonated at a nearby spit, leaving behind a large crater.  Zundel said the parcel, camouflaged to look like a book, bore an outdated return address for the post office box of his friend Tony McAleer, a B.C.-based white supremacist.  Police said the bomb was packed with enough explosives to seriously maim or kill anyone within ninety meters of the blast.

Zundel was certain that Jewish groups were behind a plot to kill him. Initially, police investigated a phone call to the Toronto Sun by someone claiming responsibility in the name of an unknown organization called Jewish Armed Resistance.  But the police weren't convinced that the Holocaust denier was telling the truth about the circumstances leading up to the discovery of the mail bomb.  Why had Zundel waited five days before alerting them to the suspicious package?

Zundelsite comment:  The bomb arrived 10 days after the Zundel-Haus burned down, destroying an irreplaceable library and causing $400,000 damage.  Volunteers by the dozens descended on the Zundel-Haus from all over the US and Canada to help clean up the damage.  To say that those were hectic days is putting it politely.  A few days before this parcel arrived, Ernst had received a poorly written letter, gloating about the arson and stating "Next time it will be BOOM!" He received book parcels by the dozens every day - it was natural that after this warning, he would be on the lookout for suspicious parcels.  He handled this one, thought it was too heavy for a book, put it aside after instructing his staff not to touch it and, frankly, forgot about it in the havoc of dealing with the horrid destruction of his life's  work caused by both fire and water.

During the weekend, when things had quieted down a bit, he remembered the parcel, even shook it - and then realized, after a totally coincidental phone call by the "addressee",  that the return address was an outdated address.  That's when he knew it was a bomb.  It could not have been a book sent by Tony.

Ernst called me that night in San Diego.  He told me that when he took that bomb to the police station, carefully bedded on a bird seed box, his " stood up on end" as de drove it carefully around every bump on the road.  When I asked him why he had not, instead, called police to come and get the parcel, he said:  "Do I need to get the neighborhood upset with screeching police cars and howling sirens?  The neighbors are already traumatized by the fire which could easily have killed the kids in the neighbor's house who had to jump out of the window, stark naked..."  In other words, he did not want to call attention to himself, fearing more hostility.

As a sidebar, it should also be mentioned that when Ernst told the police what he had delivered to them, their snide response was that he may have sent the bomb to himself - for attention!

Mitrovica:  By late summer, however, the skepticism evaporated. Several police forces launched a joint probe after mail bombs were sent to five different targets:  Zundel;  another B.C.-based white supremacist, Charles Scott;  the Mackenzie Institute, a Toronto-based terrorism and security-policy think tank;  Kay Gardner, a Toronto City councillor; and Alta Genetics, Inc., a Calgary cattle-breeding centre.  The  Mounties believed that four of the bombs originated in Vancouver. The mystery surrounding the mail bombs was solved when a shadowy group of anarchists, called the Militant Direct Action Task Force, sent "communiqués" to several media outlets claiming responsibility for all the potentially lethal letters, save the one to Kay Gardner. In its letters, which provided compelling evidence that the group was behind the mail bombs, the anarchists responded to media reports about the grave dangers to postal workers who had unwittingly handled the mail bombs.  "We have tested our devices and found that only extremely rough handling (or opening them) would cause them to detonate.  All packages have been marked PERSONAL to keep unauthorized people from opening them," the group wrote.

Zundelsite  comment:  We believe the so-called Militant Direct Action Task Force was a "false road flare" diverting attention away from two highly suspect culprits, last names Thursten and Barbarash. This terrorist duo was arrested, along with a girl, last name Rubin, after the most intensive telephone spy operation ever in Canada – as I recall it, 7,000 hours, that led the mounties to a storage place belonging to the suspects where bomb making equipment was stored. The Canadian Mounties know a thing or two about those people.   So, one might reasonably suspect, does CSIS.  There were even the beginnings of a trial in Vancouver, but the case has been dropped and the records have been sealed - for reasons of "national security"!

Incidentally, the original arrest warrant stated that it was issued "for suspicion of attempted murder of Ernst Zundel."  Later, that phrase mysteriously disappeared.

Mitrovica:  Farrell is convinced that the package containing the pipe bomb delivered to Zundel's home was intercepted by either himself or Pilotte.  This raises the possibility that the intelligence service was aware of the package's potentially lethal cargo before Zundel received it.  Farrell says Lunau's warning to temporarily stop intercepting packages addressed to Zundel's home came only after police had detonated the first pipe bomb.  What CSIS might have done to alert either Canada Post, Toronto Police or Zundel himself remains a mystery.  But what is clear is that the rash of letter bombs prompted police to issue an extraordinary warning to Canadians to be extremely cautious when receiving unexpected packages or letters.

Regrettably, Farrell says, Canada's  spy service failed to heed the warning and, as a result, unnecessarily put the lives of Canadians at risk.  That's because when CSIS resumed the interception of Zundel's mail, it continued to ship hard-to-open packages by passenger plane to Ottawa for inspection, even though a pipe bomb had already been discovered.  "My concern was that there could always be a bomb in Zundel's mail," Farrell says.  "And how are we sending that stuff up to Ottawa?  It was being shipped by Air Canada.  So what do you think was likely to happen if a bomb  went off while we were transporting his mail by commercial jet?"

Farrell  repeatedly raised this issue with Lunau.  "I was concerned about my own safety and the crew and passengers on the plane.  I told Donnie many times  that I didn't think it was wise to send Zundel's packages up to Ottowa  by plane.  But he didn't seem that concerned.  I would say, 'Don, for the record, we shouldn't be doing this." Lunau would say, "Okay.  Noted." Farrell rang the alarm, but no one at CSIS bothered to listen.

So much for Mitrovica's exposé of CSIS.  And CSIS is the very same Canadian government outfit responsible for Ernst Zundel's detention - and that wants to tar him as a "security risk to Canada"! Ask yourself what kind of "justice" he will get. I ask myself if he will live to tell his story Friday when media will be there.  I don't think I exaggerate the danger.

Ingrid Zundel



An item of interest

Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 10:45 AM

Subject: NEWSFLASH: White House Reporters Laugh at Propaganda

From: <

Ari is LITERALLY Laughed Off the Stage by White House Reporters

After taking stenography of Bushit for more than 2 years, White House reporters may be finally awakening from their collective coma.

This week's most important story is Bush's efforts to buy a majority of votes on the U.N. Security Council.
But when reporters pressed Ari about the terms of these deals, Ari feigned pure unadulterated outrage.
"I haven't seen the story. And you already have the answer, about what this will be decided on. But think about the implications of what you're saying. You're saying that the leaders of other nations are buyable. And that is not an acceptable proposition." Suddenly, a remarkable thing happened - the reporters LAUGHED. They laughed LOUD. And they laughed so loud that Ari turned on his heels and marched right off the stage.

Will this be reported? Will reporters follow up on Bush's global vote-buying effort? Will this be the LIE that broke the camel's back? Stay tuned!

Note: click the audio link and fast forward to minute 35 to hear for yourself


Top of Page | Home Page

©-free 2003 Adelaide Institute